Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Vicksburg, MS
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Vicksburg, MS: A pedestrian accident is where a motor vehicle collides with a pedestrian either on the road or a sidewalk. These accidents often cause mild to severe injuries and can be fatal. However, in Mississippi, the law provides a means for pedestrians to recover any damages that they have suffered as a result of a pedestrian involved accident through a personal injury claim.
What Are Common Causes Of Pedestrian Accidents?
Under personal injury law, a driver needs to be proven negligent in order to be held liable (responsible) to pay compensation for causing an accident where a pedestrian was injured. This negligence is often the cause of the accident. Common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving or where the driver was texting, talking on the phone or doing anything that prevented both hands from being available to handle the vehicle or where their full attention was not on the road.
- Failing to obey traffic signs
- Driving aggressively or road rage
- Drivers falling asleep behind the wheel or tired drivers
- Driving under the influence of a substance that impairs driver ability such as alcohol, recreational drugs or prescription medications
What Types Of Damages Can You Claim For A Pedestrian Accident?
Damages refer to the losses that the injured party incurred as a result of the pedestrian accident and may include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Damage to property
- Pain & suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Mental or emotional distress
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death lawsuit where the accident resulted in a fatality
A personal injury claim can involve some or all of the above damages. Both current losses as well as expected future losses can be included in the claim. This is especially important in the case of catastrophic injury where the person will require lifelong medical or other care and may no longer be able to earn a living due to the accident.
Speak to a personal injury lawyer at Jones Law to find out more about claiming compensation after a pedestrian involved accident in Vicksburg, Mississippi.